Internal medicine is the branch of medicine which works on detecting and treating internal diseases throughout the body. Internists examine the abnormalities of internal organs and systems: the functioning of the heart and circulatory system, the liver, the endocrin glands, the respiratory-, digestive- and the haematopoietic system.
In what cases should you turn to an Internist?
- examination and treatment for internal conditions
- internal examination before surgery
- stomach problems, obesity- and treatment
- digestive system illnesses and abnormalities
- conditions of the liver, gallbladder and pancreas
- disorders of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum
- abnormalities of the large intestine
- examination and setting of high blood pressure
- ECG investigations
- Laboratory tests.
Following the internal examinations we specify further consultations and treatments in other areas of medicine ( cardiology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, haematology, nephrology etc.)